Beit She’an is a city in the North District of Israel. The modern city of Beit She’an was founded in 1949, shortly after the creation of the State of Israel. Beit She’an is located 120 meters below sea level, at the Jordan River, 60 kilometers south of the city of Tiberias.
During the Greco-Roman period the city was reoccupied by the name of Scythopolis. Possibly, it was named after Scythian mercenaries that settled there as veterans.